After (obsessively) using Instagram for some time now, I’ve developed a few pet peeves in the behavior of my fellow users.
We’ve already shared a couple of our interviews with popular users – and how they got to that point – so now it’s time to take a look at why some accounts never take off:
- Pixelated images
- Too many hashtags
- Too many posts (for me that is in excess of 3 a day)
- People who ask for shout-outs
- People who only interact with people they know
- Private pages (I think they defeat the purpose of Instagram)
- People who rarely post
- People who never post original content
- People who follow you but have private pages (creepy)
- Spammers & trolls
- People who follow 100 people who post the same images e.g.. thinspiration, generic fashion pictures, One Direction & Beiber fanatics (open up your Instagram world!)
- People who don’t follow back their own friends
- People who rarely ‘like’ photos
- People who post 5 photos in a row of the same lunch/ party/ picnic etc.
Ok maybe I’m getting a bit petty but in my opinion, Instagram is a great tool to explore every corner of the earth and get a glimpse of daily lives, styles, tastes & landscapes entirely different from your own. Moreover, it is incredibly easy to begin interacting with people from all over the planet who share similar interests to you. So who do I think are the best type of Instagrammers?
- People who interact with other users- ask questions and answer them too!
- Accounts which have some kind of theme, even if it’s only a particular colour scheme or mood
- People who post quality pictures
- People who post original content or at least mix it up!
- People who ‘like’ back even if only occasionally
- In fact- people who are generous with their ‘likes’!
- And finally, users who really explore Instagram by searching random hashtags and taking a peek at the accounts of users who follow or ‘like’ their posts.
What are your thoughts?